Sunday, January 22, 2006

The West Wing

This probably isn't the first time you've heard it, but I was surprised to hear that The West Wing is being cancelled after this season. 7 seasons though, a nice run. I'm only through season 2 at the moment, and I must say that I really enjoy the show. I've got seasons 3 and 4 waiting (Christmas Gifts), but I'd really like to watch them on a much bigger TV! I'll eventually give in and watch them anyway, I did the same thing last year with "24" and the big screen TV never came.

In contrast to yesterday, today was pretty good. I worked for 6 hours and then went to the gym for about an hour. I was the only one there for most of it, and the person who was there before me had this weird movie on the TV. It looked like some B movie to me, and it was mildly interesting if not completely out there. Sometimes you just feel like watching "junk". This, my friends, was junk. But I watched it. The star of this movie? David Hasselhoff. The movie was "Nick Fury: Agent of Shield" and yes, it really was as bad as it sounds. I'll admit some surprise to see that it was based on a Marvel comic.

I played a couple of great games of chess tonight. I was expecting to have a tough time since I haven't played much this week, but I really felt pretty good. I was playing Black (the diagram below shows the final position where my opponent resigned - he doesn't have enough compensation for the Queen that he's about to lose).

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. e3 Be7 6. Bd3 O-O 7. O-O dxc4 8.Bxc4 c5 9. dxc5 Bxc5 10. Qb3 Nc6 11. Rd1 Qe7 12. Be2 e5 13. Nd5 Nxd5 14.Qxd5 Be6 15. Qe4 f5 16. Qa4 e4 17. Ne1 a6 18. Bd2 b5 19. Qc2 Nb4 20. Bxb4 Bxb4 21. Qc6 Rfc8 22. Qb6 Rcb8 23. Qc6 Bc5 {White resigns} 0-1

I haven't heard from Pam yet - I'm hoping that she made it to Thailand OK and is just having such a great time that she hasn't had a chance to give us a shout yet. I still can't believe it, 6 weeks! Who goes to Thailand for 6 weeks? Pam.

As always, so much to do... so little time. And days like yesterday certainly don't help the cause that much.

Ed.

No comments: