Monday, January 02, 2006

My 2006 New Years Resolution... and other stories.

It has definitely been one of those weekends. It's just about over, but I'm ready for the real weekend now! Anyone with me? I think my cold decided it was going to take a few more days to slowly work its way out. Still, a little better every day. I played a little more chess than usual today, I felt like I've been avoiding it too much recently so I needed to get the rust off. It's still there, but better.

I was reading a little bit about a particular line in the Slav because I was completely crushed with it in one of my 2 games yesterday. So I happened to get into it again today. What are the odds? Actually, pretty good. So I still managed to completely misplay it, but came out winning a lost endgame because of a foolish knight move. One of the games I was most proud of was against my new nemesis minimardi on the ICC. It was an exciting game when I suddenly saw that I had a forced mate! I was pretty excited! I couldn't believe I was about to pull off such a stunning victory against minimardi. After a move I saw it, the rust! Yep, I didn't have a win on the board. In fact, I was now losing. As my luck would have it, minimardi then got disconnected, reconnected, and sat for its final 5 minutes before losing to me on time. Go figure! Since it is a computer, my only guess is that it's programming really hasn't been designed to handle disconnects/reconnects in the middle of a game. I'd show you the position, but I'm still feeling a bit lazy. Maybe some other time.

I've been thinking a lot about the new year. I had a big list of resolutions, goals, hopes, dreams and whatever else I could think of... but then I stopped myself. All of that stuff is great, but is it really worthy of a resolution? Of The New Year's Resolution? Since it's all about me, well, yes, it probably is worth it. And yet I hesitated. Paused. Pondered. Marinated... and even stewed. Finally, it hit me. All of that stuff is what I want, but not what I need. What I need... is to find myself!

My 2006 New Years Resolution is to find myself.

So buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Ed.

No comments: