Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A terrible thing to waste!

I'm on a break from chess. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but there it is. That doesn't mean that I won't play the quick game or anything, but I can already feel the rust. I'll be back, I always come back. I know that for me it's a game I'll be playing my entire life. My minds just not in it right now.

If you haven't checked out Sean's site (see my links section - The Central Oregon Chess Journal) then you missed out on a rare, one of a kind photo of yours truly. Here it is, reprinted without permission - which I don't feel at all bad about since it is about me:















Why do I bring this up? Because somebody, and I don't want to implicate anybrushway, thought it would look nice as a screensaver image on their computer. I must say, it's not exactly the demographic that I was hoping for. As for the picture itself, it was taken several years ago at the World Open chess tournament in Philadelphi at the Adams Mark Hotel. Which is, sadly, no longer in existence. It was always one of my favorite tournaments. The tournament itself still continues though, it is now held at a hotel in central philadelphia. I just haven't been able to convince myself to go to it. I loved the old location - though you still wouldn't catch me out after dark. Not exactly the safest of neighborhoods once you get down the street.

I told Kip today that I wouldn’t load myself up on sugar tonight. Not a big deal, or so I thought. Now that I finished eating dinner all I can think about is bad, bad food! I want sugar! I think I need to go to bed early tonight. It’ll help me forget. It’s for the best.

I went to bed last night before posting... so I guess you get a little extra. How about that! Although I am on a break from chess, I did play a game last night on the ICC against the strong (for me) computer ctd. I lost. But I really enjoy playing against it because even though it still kicks my butt, I know that someday I will be better than it is. So it's a challenge, and one that I know I will overcome with time. I love that! As for my loss, I think that part of my problem is when I'm playing chess against a stronger opponent I tend not to play my game. I try too hard not to lose, so I don't take chances. Regardless of your opponent, regardless of the result, you've got to play your game!

Enjoy the day!

Ed.

No comments: