Friday, April 28, 2006

To be, or not to be?

That is the question.

The answer?

I rock.

Or so I'm told.

I am so happy to have the final presentation done. Now I need to maintain my focus for one more week to get my project and paper all finished up and turned in next Thursday night. My presentation went very well. On my way out I ran into 5 of the 10 people in class - I know, weird - and they all told me that it was awsome. It was by far the best. Wow! Very nice. Of course, with my luck, that means that it'll bite something big and not so tasty. But so it goes.

It was a little embarrassing though. For some reason, as I was giving the demo, it decided to play the game of its life. Finally, late into the game it made an illegal move with an en-passant capture when the position was still pretty exciting for both sides. Though I think I was slightly better. By that point though, noone cared. They were really into it. I haven't had time to look at it, but I think I know what's causing the issue. So it should be quick to fix. It's not a bug in the "engine" itself, but rather in the engines processing of the moves from the gui. When the engine moves, I have it signify if there is an en-passant capture available after the move by. The gui doesn't so I have to calculate if an en-passant is available based on the move the gui sends. So I think I just messed that up a little bit.

I can't afford the habit yet, but last night... I slept! Finally! It was great. I like sleep. The past two weeks I've had to cancel my guitar lessons on Wednesday nights because I was totally focused on my project. Bruce called me yesterday morning at 7am to tell me that he and Janice were thinking of me and wanted to with me luck. That was really nice. What they heck, they rock too! Jon called me Wednesday night, but it wasn't to wish me luck. He wanted to tell me that the new computer he bought is slower than the old one and wants me to look at it. The new computer is, if I remember correctly, a 1.8ghz dual-core processor with 512Meg of memory and runs Windows XP Media Center Edition. It has the nice, sexy, hot 19" flat panel display that was practically free with the awsome deals dell was giving a few weeks back. The old computer? A 10 year old Celeron 300 that was also running Windows XP and couldn't have had more than 500Meg of memory, probably less. Perhaps I'm a cynic, I'll give myself that. But HOW could the new computer be slower than THAT?

There's a new song that's been playing on the radio. I finally heard the name/artist last night. It's called "You and Me" and it's by "Lifehouse". It's not country, but I really like it. It goes a little like this:

What day is it
and in what month
this clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep on
and I can't back down
I've been losing
so much time

Cause it's you and me
and all other people
with nothing to do
nothing to lose
and it's you and me
and all other people
and I don't know why
I can't keep my eyes off of you

All of the things
that I wan't to say
just aren't coming out right
I'm tripping on words
you've got my head spinning
I don't know where to go from here

... and it goes on ...

And now, time for another day at work.

Until next time, Ed.

No comments: