Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Peace and Tranquility

Who am I kidding? Still a LOT to do. It's late, very late, but what can I say. I was so tired when I got home today. As I was thinking about how to handle the 50 move rule and where to increment/decrement the halfmove clock variable - as well as if to include a reference to the state of that clock in the move object - I layed down on my bed for a minute. When I woke up at 8pm I knew it was past time to be working!

dark and deep...

I didn't actually complete any "new" features tonight, which was not my goal. Instead I fixed some things. Which I'm definitely happy about. When it's time to do the demonstration Thursday night I really want the basic stuff working well. So it was good to do. I cleaned up the handling of making moves which fixed some bugs in both the en-passant and pawn promotion moves that I was seeing through the external GUI. I've got one bug left before I really focus on some of the other stuff. It's only happening now in my test position once we get 7 ply deep, so I could probably gloss over it. But still, it's pretty serious! What happens is if the computer sees a checkmate and knows that with best play it can't be prevented, it dies. I fixed this by returning the root move of the line that was last considered best. The only problem is, at 7+ ply, this root move appears to be the opponents move. Somehow it gets flipped around. It should be easy to figure out now that I've just written that down. But it's a little late and I need sleep.

promises to keep...

I also realize that there is no way I'll have it finished in time. It can't happen. I have too much left on my list. So now I'm focusing on the basics and ensuring that I'll have a playable demo that doesn't crash or anything. Then during the last week while I'm writing my research paper I'll have to try to fit in the rest as well.

and miles to go before I sleep.

Have a good night.

Ed.

No comments: