Sunday, April 23, 2006

It's Alive!

Wow! What a day. It started with me spending a little time on my project before going bowling with Dave for 11:30. I'm not posting the scores this week... they were terrible. My high game was a 165, Dave's high was a 150. The lanes were dry and I had trouble reading them... never really got going.

When I got home I worked on my project again. But as the afternoon wore on I was just dead. I had to sleep. Since I had the dog I didn't want to lay down on my bed - if I do he jumps in and gets hair all over it. So I went down to the couch and slept for about an hour and a half. I needed it.

After that I took the dog out for a bit, then went back to my project. I worked on it until I went to the chess club at around 7. Then, when I got back home, back to my project. Until now. 2:17am. I have a headache. I want to sleep.

So how did it go today? Well, I didn't get as much accomplished as I had hoped, so I'm really getting nervous about Thursday's presentation. The good news is I just finished fixing up the check/checkmate routines and I'm impressed. I played a quick game against it with some stupid moves in the beginning because I wanted to test it, and it played pretty well. Granted on move 3 I tried a queen sac on f7 to see if it would retake with the king, and it did. So I thought, ok, I'm down a Queen for a Pawn, let's play! It was harder than I expected. Since the engine doesn't know about castling yet, I was struggling with some moves because I knew that I couldn't play what I really wanted to. I was also evaluating the position at one point based upon my being able to re-capture en-passant... which the engine doesn't understand yet either.

So how did the game end? I forgot that it didn't know about en-passant, re-captured it's pawn that way, and the engine cried.

My goals for tomorrow have expanded. I need to catch up. I'm out of time. So let's hope I don't run into any issues. If everything goes smoothly, there's still hope.

I hope you're having a good weekend.

Ed.

No comments: