Saturday, April 08, 2006

Paint by numbers fantasy

I was out on my morning walk when I noticed a woman a little ways up ahead. She was still too far away for me to make out clearly, but I started thinking to myself "I wonder what would happen if, when I am passing her, she notices my chess umbrella and asks me what comes into my mind when she says the exchange variation of the ruy lopez". So I played through the variation in my head, and decide that I'd simply say "1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6". As luck would have it, when Sean and I first started playing chess we used to play the ruy lopez all the time. So I'm at least familiar with the exchange variation.

Imagine my surprise when, as I finally do pass her, she barely even says hello.

Welcome to the wonders of my life.

Ed.

No comments: