Sunday, April 16, 2006

Bowling for Dollars

I know, in blogging as in life, I seem to always be stuck right behind the 8-ball. Still, this isn't about pool (or billiards if you prefer), this is about bowling. Well, technically, it's about me. But who are we to get caught up in such technicalities? A little later on I'm hoping to get a chess game or two that I've played recently up, but for now I couldn't let the weekend go by without talking about the week in bowling.

Friday night I went down to the bowling alley to see if Cliff was there. I took some lessons from Cliff years ago, and he helped me pick out my bowling balls that I used to use. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 that I had were thrown out after my basement flooded a year or two ago. At the time I wasn't sure if I'd ever be bowling again so I didn't think much of it. Anyway, I found Cliff and asked him if he'd be willingn to stop by, watch me bowl, and give me some advice for buying some new bowling balls.

On Saturday I was expecting Dave to show up but I really wasn't sure if Adam would. I forgot to call him, and I did talk to Dave on Wed. before I left work. Adam showed up and Dave didn't. Since I've been bowling "better" lately, though still not quite to my old standards, I decided to see if Adam was up to a little extra challenge. We used to always bet $5/game and $5 total, so we did.

Game 1:



Ed187
Adam204


Ouch! I lost by 17 pins. I shouldn't say ouch, I bowled a good game, Adam just bowled a better one. Adam $5, Ed -$5.

Game 2:



Ed184
Adam187


This was ouch! After the 5th frame I was up 107-84. So, Now I'm down by 20 pins, which means I need to win the last game by at least 21 pins to take total and break even. Adam $10, Ed -$10.

Game 3:



Ed200
Adam166


I did it! Cliff showed up about half way through this game, so I asked Adam if he wanted to bowl one more "off the record" (no money). He said sure.

Game 4:



Ed244
Adam172


Yeah, should have kept it going. Adam enjoyed reminding me of this, constantly! After the game Cliff and I talked for a while. As it turns out, balls have changed a lot since I was last bowling. The biggest advice is to get a cheap plastic spare ball that just goes straight down the lane. I knew that one, but good to hear that the "quality/price" doesn't really matter for this. And to start with at least one of the newer balls that get a little more action than the ball that I'm throwing. Another thing that Cliff noted was that when I hit the pocket or hit the pocket tight I get the strike, when I hit the pocket light I leave the ten pin. The new balls will generate more action when it gets down the lane so I should find that I leave less ten pins. So much more, really, but I think I'm getting past the point of people caring.

So there you go.

Happy Easter!

Ed.

No comments: