Monday, April 21, 2008

The name of the game

I was tired today. After a long weekend of WOW raiding, sometimes you just need a break! I got home tonight and spend a little while on doing some daily quests, but then I just had to get off. I really didn't feel like doing anything in the game. So what did I do? Chess!

I joined the 9pm bullet tournament. 9 rounds, game in 1 minute!!! I finished with 4 out of 9. Not too bad really. Considering my bullet rating isn't so high, I was happy with that score. And a few of the games I also had winning positions but ran out of time. After that I played a bit more. Chess is one of those games that I enjoy playing, but it seems like I can't take more than an hour or so a night.

Someone had asked what books I had purchased. The first one was "Paul Morphy, A Modern Perspective" by Valeri Beim. I've really just started it, but it's an interesting read. He had an incredible memory. He was fluent in many languages and many believe had a photographic memory. I haven't gone over any of the games yet, just read some of the text. So a ways to go.

I also picked up the IV and V volume of Garry Kasparov's My Great Predecessors where he talks about Bobby Fischer and Anatoly Karpov and an endgame book by Jeremy Silman.

Alright, I need to get an early sleep tonight! Tomorrow is another day.

Ed.

No comments: