Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lame is the name of the game

Tonight was bowling night. We got done a little early because both teams were missing a player. For me, it was an average night and I wasn't overly excited about it. But we did take 3 points out of 4. So overall, not bad. I believe our team is in 3rd place.

After that I stopped to grab something to eat and headed home. My plan was to play a bit of chess and then do some W.O.W. daily quests. So I got home, booted up the computer, and got on to the Internet Chess Club. For some reason, I decided to dive into the G/15 tonight. Maybe because I was eating dinner so I figured it would be a good way to eat and play. I sent out the match request and was paired against a 1638 rated player. That's about 300 points lower than my current rating, but with rust and all, I was happy that it should be a good game.

As these things go, my opponent was taking a little bit longer than I to move. After move 6 he had about 12 minutes left on his clock to my 14 minutes. After my 7th move he seemed to go into a deep think. So I took the opportunity to start opening my new chess books! Yes, they arrived at my doorstep today. Woot! Some new light reading before bed.

Time slowly past and I started thinking he was just going to let his time run out to annoy me. Why? Because when you're playing someone rated higher than you, you don't think that long on move 7! So I found myself hoping that I didn't get disconnected from the Internet. I have my options set on the ICC so that if they have the same setting, a disconnect is an automatic forfeit.

In the end, his clock ran out and I won on time. Lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame! 16 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I gained a few rating points - like those are deserved right now!

Until next time,

Ed.

No comments: