Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Perfect Game

People are always asking me "Hey Ed, when are you going to become a superstar? Bumfuzzled, I'm usually stricken by momentary confusion and bewilderment at the naivety of the world around me before saying, "Dude, I am a superstar". To which comes the reply, "Oh, Ok, have fun with that.". And thus begins another day in the life...

There's an old saying that goes "Chess, like money, like love, has the power to make men happy.". It was updated about 15 years ago to say "... has the power to make people happy.". Either way, you get the idea. As I have spent many years on my own foray into this wonderful and mysterious world of chess, I can say one thing about the above statement. Happiness is fleeting.

I went bowling today for the first time since November of 2004 when I went out to Bend, Oregon to visit Sean and Bree. I decided to stop after 2 games because my back was getting a little stiff. I wish I could say that I missed it, but after today I think more realistic a statement would be that I miss being good at it. When I stopped bowling 3 years ago, my average was around 190. My first game today I bowled an 80 - with 2 frames where the only thing I found was the gutter! My second game was better, it was in the 140's. But still, using the standards of the past, not very good. I went with Dave and Adam. I suck.

I also played a 30/3 speed tournament today at party poker. I was doing pretty well, until my AA came up against AQo... and lost. I came in around 206 out of 580 or so.

I'm going to try to do some work on my senior project today - so hopefully some more news on that this weekend. I say try because all I really want to do is sleep. Jon also asked me to stop by. I've also got a few new movies. If only I could find some motivation... for anything. I also picked up Garth's "The Lost Sessions" on CD at Walmart last night. I have to say, it's not as good as I had hoped. I think that's because I really loved the acoustic playing from his special on CMT, so having the finished tracks with all the other instruments and everything - just doesn't do it for me.

Ed.

No comments: