Friday, March 24, 2006

The Morning News

So, last night I was on the Internet Chess Club when someone asked me if I'd be willing to look over a few of their games with them. I said ok. Once we got started, I had to ask them... how do you know me? They didn't. But we're on the same team in the slow chess league. I'm board 1, they're board 4. I was asked to be on an U1800 team this season, so I decided to give it a go. I think that we spent almost 2 hours going over the games... but I wasn't actually keeping track. The only mildly annoying thing, and I say mildly because I'm sure he was simply happy to be participating, was one guy who was rated about 1000 (he was actually a little better than that, but for the sake of my point) kept telling me how he didn't really like the moves I was suggesting, and suggested his own. There were 4 of us looking over the games. Oh, that and he kept quoting Jeremy Silman. Jeremy Silman is an International Master that has written many great instructional books on how to play chess. Incluing the hugely successful "How to Reassess your chess". Which I highly recommend to any chess player. If you're just starting out, a book like "The Amateur's Mind" might be more your speed. In that he goes over books from weaker players and has them talk about what they're thinking while they are making moves, and comments on it. It's an enjoyable read. But when you're suggesting a move and someone is saying... you should do something like ... according to Jeremy Silman. What can I say? My kingdom for a fish!

Alright, I've got to get moving. Al asked me to bring him to Holyoke for 6:30. He's leaving for Florida today and my guess is that's his ride to the airport. I stayed up way too late playing blitz chess on the ICC. I suck at blitz, and it stresses me out, but once I get going sometimes I find it's impossible to stop. So today will be a long tiring day. Larry is coming over tonight so that I can help him with some C programming (he was going to come last night but something came up). So there we go.

Enjoy your Friday!

Ed.

No comments: