Thursday, March 02, 2006

The feeble fantasy

There's always good news. The good news for today, I cancelled my reservation for this weekend. It's not great news, because I really wanted to go. But it is good, because otherwise I'd be not going and paying for it. As usual, it's a matter of perspective. Speaking of perspective, or not, I had my doctor's appointment today. I think it went well. As luck would have it, today was the first day in about a week that I started feeling better again. So I was pretty sure my assessment of the response I would get was going to be right on. It was, really. But it was a good visit nonetheless.

I promised a story tonight. I really haven't thought about it, so I'm not sure how good it's going to be. But I'll give it a go anyway. In case you're curious, I consider it of the "feeble fantasy" genre. It has a very limited audience, so I'd recommend that most readers skip right over it and we'll see you again next time. For those of you with a stronger stomach, It's entitled "The Pony Boy and The Princess", and it goes a little something like this:

Four score and seven years ago a princess entered the magical world of McCallum. It was like a dream come true. She met many great and wonderful people on this journey. Even the wicked stepmother, Quesnelia, had a soft spot for the princess. Every day the princess would leave her normal life and enter this magical world. As the years passed by, the princess found herself more and more becoming complacent and bored with the routine and drudgery. She had forgotten to appreciate and love the magic that was this world.

One of her co-workers, the famous and tall James Michael, would constantly berate the princess and tell her mean and evil spirited things. James Michael was truly a man of this magical world, and could not understand why the princess did not appreciate all that she had. It was this anger that finally broke the princess. One day, while arranging rose petals for the arrival of the great "Ed Burger, King." James Michael walked in an exploded in what was to become his trademark, the hissy-fit. So overcome with laughter and hysteria was our princess, that she did not realize nor understand the great power she wielded in this magical world of ours. She turned him into a pony. The Pony Boy. The princess felt really, really bad about what she had done to James Michael, but after a moment decided that it was well deserved. He was making one out of himself anyway. From this day forth, she told him, you will be known as The Pony Boy.

Insecure with his new identity, Pony Boy cried and cried and cried. Who will respect me if I am a pony, he wondered. What will my family think? How can I present myself in front of the great "Ed Burger, King.". It was quite the dilema. He tried to get the princess to change him back, but she could only laugh hysterically. Pony Boy went to the wicked stepmother, Quesnelia, and asked that she make the princess turn him back. But like the princess, she could only laugh hysterically. Things were not looking good for The Pony Boy.

As time went by, The Pony Boy learned to live with his new identity. His children loved getting rides to school. Who wouldn't want to ride to school on a pony? They even brought him in for show and tell. He did develop a few pony problems, but we won't talk about those. And he loved the attention, though they had to renovate his office. A pony has special needs. As time went by, the princess started becoming more and more jealous of the attention that The Pony Boy was getting. Everybody loved The Pony Boy. One day, after she had all that she could take, the princess went to the wicked stepmother, Quesnelia, and their evil plan was hatched. If all went as planned, The Pony Boy would be changed forever...

And I think after writing that, I'm changed forever too. Nevertheless, there you go! Will there be a part 2? I'm not sure, we'll see if I can stomach it ;)

Ed.

No comments: