Sunday, July 02, 2006

The game of the week

I almost forgot, but I had a chess game scheduled at 9am this morning. It was on the ICC. Before the game I looked at how the team was doing, and realized that I had to win. We have 4-man teams and two of my teammates lost their games. Well, technically, one of them forfeit for not showing up. So I knew that if I didn't win we didn't have a chance at drawing the round.

With that information in hand, I knew I couldn't play my normal game. Not that my normal game is bad, but it can be "careful". As it turned out, I played one of my best games of the year! Seriously, I really felt great playing it. I also won in convincing fashion. Not bad for playing aggressive when you're not generally an aggressive player. Here was my favorite position from the game. White to move, can you guess what I played?



If you guessed Qxd5 you've got the talent. That's what I played and went on to win.

I watched Failure to Launch tonight with my Mother and Sister. It was a pretty good movie. So if you haven't seen it, I can certainly recommend checking it out. It doesn't make it into my hall of fame, but it was good.

And to end my night I was just playing a few games of blitz on the ICC. My last game I had a winning endgame against my opponent when I lost on time. I was pretty pissed. I happened to be leaning back on my chair at the time, and without taking a moment to let it down I found myself shaking my fists. Then I found my chair falling towards the floor, with me in it. Ouch! When I got off the floor and picked my chair up, I noticed that it was a draw. My opponent didn't have any pieces left but his king so he didn't have any winning chances.

So there you have it. A day in the life.

Ed.

No comments: