Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Riddle

Yesterday I fell asleep and missed the evening, so tonight I had to play a little catch-up. What did that mean? That meant I got to take my Linear Algebra Chapter 1 Test tonight. So imagine my disappointment when I got home to find my Windows Vista Beta 2 customer preview and Microsoft Office System Beta 2 2007 shipments waiting for me. Guess what I wanted to do?

So I started out by taking the practice test. It was 3 questions and didn't count towards the grade. It was simply to get you familiar with the interface and how you had to take the test. Still, they were linear algebra questions and I wanted to get them right. So I spent about a half an hour on it. I got 2/3. If this was a sign of things to come, I was in for a bit of trouble.

I moved on to the test. I think it took me about 2 hours. There were 20 questions, and even though they were multiple choice they weren't easy. I struggled with the 1st six, and they were only true/false. I also struggled with the last couple. It reminded me a lot of taking the Microsoft tests back in the late 90's. The questions were designed to make you want to pick the wrong answer. You really had to read them carefully, more than once. I'd like to say that I aced it, I really wanted to. I put a lot of time in the chapter, doing all the homework and practice tests. I've probably spent about 2 hours a night for a good week and a half. Still I only managed to pull out an 85. I messed up on 3 of them. I was actually pretty upset about it, but what can I do. Let's hope it doesn't get any more difficult because I've got to start putting some time into my other class as well.

I've been listening to "The Riddle" by Five for Fighting lately. It's a great song. Here's a piece:

The batter swings and the summer flies
As I look into my angel's eyes
A song plays on while the moon is high
over me
Something comes over me

I guess we're big and I guess we're small
If you think about it man you know we got it all
Cause we're all we got on this bouncing ball
And I love you free
I love you freely

Here's a riddle for you
Find the Answer
There's a reason for the world
You and I

And, yes, I did manage to fit in getting Windows Vista installed tonight - on the laptop. I won't really have time to play around with it, but over the next few days I'll probably have some impressions. I'm also looking forward to checking out the latest office. From the previews I've read, it sounds like it's a significant change.

I've also been playing really good chess lately. I don't know why that is... the busier it gets the better I seem to do. Still, I'm looking forward to mid-august when my classes are over and I have some time for a few weeks before my final class starts in September.

I hope you're all having a good week!

Ed.

No comments: