Thursday, May 11, 2006

Lost and Found

I have 2 books on computer chess. One of them is called "Computer Chess Compendium" by David Levy, and the other is "Scalable Search in Computer Chess: Algorithmic Enhancements and Experiements at High Search Depths" by Ernst A. Heinz. They are interesting books, and I've read them several times. I really like the Computer Chess Compendium because it's about the old days. It was first published in 1988, and goes through the history, early attempts and algorithms, and some notes on writing a chess program. Of course, not with the latest techniques, but still an interesting read.

The last I saw these books they were in my living room. Then it was cleaned. As I was preparing my paper last week I was looking all over for them. I emptied stuff out, searched everywhere, nothing. I ended up doing my paper without them, but I was really hoping to be able to use them. I was also hoping to use them as reference for my chess program too. That's still possible, of course, just not within the scope of the class.

Tonight, as I was walking into my house after taking out the trash, something caught the corner of my eye. Books. On the "shelf" of my TV stand. Two of them were... need I say more.

Idiot.

And so it goes.

Take care!

Ed.

No comments: