Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I've always thought that there was something magical about the first snowfall of the year. Once you get past knowing that the next 4 months will be full of cold, wet, damp, dark, and dreary, it's all good. Speaking of good, I caught the last 30 minutes or so of Kenny Chesney on TV last night. I was having my guitar lesson and, when I was getting ready to go, Janice happened to be watching it on TV. After that Faith Hill was on. I'm not a big Faith Hill fan, but I do like her new song "Fireflies". I know, sappy. So I left after she sang it.

So here we are, Thanksgiving Day. I'm really hoping to spend some time today working with the scriptaculous autocomplete functionality. My main goal is to be able to do some customizations of the drop down that it creates for you. I know how to do the basics, change the background color and border, but when it adds items it creates "list items" instead of just "items". What I mean is that, if you're familiar with lists in Word, it creates a circle next to the item that you have in the list. I think it's because I'm using a local array to populate the list instead of an AJAX call to populate the list with dynamic data. I say that because I went through the source for the control, and it looks like when you call it with Autocomplete.local it uses the
  • tags, but when you call it with a link to a page that contains your data it doesn't use those tags. We'll see.

    So, what is scriptaculous? It's a javascript library that someone developed to simplify certain functionality for web development. It comes with certain effects, drag and drop functionality, autocomplete functionality, and more. I'm not sure where it will fit in for me in the long term, but I was interested in it's autocomplete functionality. And it does seem to be one of the more popular javascript frameworks out there.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    Eat well, and be well!

    Ed.

    No comments: