Saturday, September 01, 2007

2007 New York State Championship: The Beginning

The first round starts in about 20 minutes! I'm hoping things slow down a bit for me soon, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. My mind is racing. I'm hoping once I start playing I'm able to detach at least for the game. Since Larry had to back out at the last minute, this adventure is mine and mine alone!

The ride took a little over 2 hours, and I got here around 9:30pm last night. The stupid GPS kept falling off my windshield, so I was starting to flip out a little bit as I'd get close to the exits I needed. I didn't take directions because I had it with me. Luckily, it worked out ok - and the GPS is very cool. I just have to learn to do a better job attaching it. From there I checked in, signed up for the tournament, bought a new clock and board, then finally headed back to the room and ordered room service. It was 10:30 by then. I've been wanting a new "roll-up" board and digital clock for a long time now, so it was good to finally buy it. Unfortunately I really had no choice. I somehow lost my chess clock over the last few weeks. I also lost my nice wooden set. I still have my wooden board, but the set disappeared. I must have forgotten it somewhere.

My Internet access runs out at noon. It's basically $10 for every 24 hours. Noon to Noon. I'll get it at least once more, but that may be it depending on how busy it gets. So I'll at least have another update out here with some status. I feel OK with how I've been playing the last week or so, so it'll be good to see how that translates to the tournament. It's definitely a different atmosphere, and everyone always seems to be at their best. Well, almost everyone!

I have a picture of my new board/clock that I'm hoping to put up later. Other than that, we'll see how it goes.

Hope you're all having a great start to the weekend!

Ed.

1 comment:

kiplingm said...

Update please.